widows’ / widowers’ & orphans’ pension scheme
widows, widowers and orphans and children’s eligible for disabled pension of persons in permanent and pensionable posts in public service are entitled to receive this pension.
(1) process of contributing towards widows’ / widowers’ & orphans’ pension scheme
1) within 3 months of receiving a permanent and pensionable appointment, the officer should register under the widows’ & orphans’ pension scheme and obtain a number.
2) if submit after 3 months of appointment, a certification should be forwarded to prove whether contributions recovered and together with reasons to such delay
3) a separate file for each officer shall maintain at the department of pensions.
4) special incidence of the family occured during the service period should inform to the department of pensions
- birth of children
- details if any disabled children
- death of spouse, divorce.
(2) documents required for registering
i). application (available at the office served) general 86 (male officers )/ general 86 ‘a’ (female
ii) a certified copy of appointment letter.
iii) originals of .
iv) if there any previous marriages, death certificate or divorce certificate
v) copies of birth certificates of spouse/ children.
vi) photo copies of national identify card of officer/ spouse
vii) any differences in name (affidavit).?
above document should be forwarded to the department of pensions through the office served last.
if an officer died without having a widows’ & orphans’ pension number, the widow or orphans should make an apply to the office where officer served.
(3) qualifications / eligibility to receive widows’ & orphans’ pension.
- post held by contributor in the status? of permanent & pensionable
- married before completing payment of contribution. (has been married before retirement)
- entitlements receive from the date of death of contributor.
- service period may not calculated.
- not required being in permanent position.
(4) amount of contribution from the salary.
- primary and secondary level 6%
- tertiary and senior level 7%
(5) things to be known by contribution.
- contributions recovered fully.
- details have been submitted for updating file
- corresponded with stating widows’ & orphans’ number at all times.
- widows’ & orphans’ card remain at own safe having informed the spouse the number.
(6) persons entitled for widows’ & orphans’ pension.
i) widow /widower can receive until remarried after death if spouse
- male children under 21 years of age.
- unmarried female children under 21 years of age
- unemployed male children between 21 to 26 years of age
- unemployed, unmarried female children between 21 to 26 years of age.
entitlement shall be received after the death of widow that is after the death of mother and father. if not, the entitlement received after the re-marriage of widows /widower.
iii) permanently disabled children confirmed by a medical board (no - age limit)
(7) method of drawing pension.
- the spouse after death of pensioner should submit death certificate, and a request for widow & orphans pensions together with widows’ orphans’ pension number to divisional secretariat of the pensioner resided area.
- payment will be paid by the divisional secretariat after verification of the entitlement.
(8) method of drawing orphans’ pension
- s of parents, birth certificates of children, court order for adopted children, together with widows’ & orphans’ pension number should be submitted to the divisional secretariat of the person resided area.
- this will be forwarded to the divisional secretariat after verification for the payments.
director general of pension shall appoint a guardian according to the recommendations of the divisional secretary when required.
(9) method of drawing disable pension.
- request should be forwarded to the divisional secretariat of the person resided area together with death certificates of parents, and widows’ & orphans’ pension number.
- person shall be forwarded to a medical board. if approved (whether physically or mentally disabled) shall be forwarded to divisional secretary for making payment.
- director general of pensions shall appoint a guardian according to the recommendations of divisional secretary when required.
special instances (adoption)
to receive entitlement for adopted children, it is required to submit court order granted approval. this order should be obtained before the retirement.
(10) if officer/ pensioner disappeared.
- widows’ & orphans’ pension shall award to heirs, based on police report, report of divisional secretary and others after one year of disappearance of the officer.
- widows’ & orphans’ pension shall award to heirs based on police report, report of divisional secretary and others after four months of disappearance of the pensioner.
(11) if there are no-heirs for widows’ & orphans’ pension (refunding of contribution)
- if retired unmarried, contribution shall refund together 2 % interest.
- if retired without children and as a widow, contribution shall refund together 2 % interest.
- if there are no -children
who entitled for pension contribution to the latter date either of the
date which the spouse dead on the date which the youngest child reached 26
years of age shall refunded without interest.
department of pensions
maligawatte secretariat ,
telephones: hotline ---1970 / +94-11-2320316 / +94-11-2421786
fax nos: +94-11-2342078