mitigation research and development division is responsible for national level disaster mitigations, risk reduction based on structural non-structural activities.this division is also responsible for risk analysis and mapping.
• development of project proposals for minimizing the hazards and implementation through district and divisional secretariats
• assist mainstreaming disaster risk reduction into development process
• coordinate the development of gis based risk profile for identified hazards.
• capacity development for risk analysis
• setup data sharing strategy and standards
• arrange with agencies providing satellite data to program satellites, to acquire data in an emergency situation and provide analyzed data for decision making
• development of disaster mitigation action plans
• assist to incorporate disaster risk reduction into land use planning process
• development of guidelines for planning and construction in disaster prone areas
• manage dmc website
• coordinating with relevant organizations to reduce vulnerability due to animal attacks, (wild elephant, crocodiles etc,)
• assist in strengthening risk transfer mechanism (micro insurance, life and property insurance)
disaster management centre